While at the bedside of hundreds of people during the dying process, my guest Barbara Karnes, a Registered Nurse, noticed that each death was following a near identical script. Each person was going through the stages of death in almost the same manner. And most families had the same questions. These realizations led Barbara to sit down and write the “Little Blue Book” — a book that changed an industry. Written in non-medical language for families, her booklet changed the way we experience the death of a loved one, because with knowledge comes understanding, and understanding reduces fear.
Barbara’s most recent project is a 25 minute film called “New Rules for End of Life Care,” in which she compassionately explains the stages of the dying process, talks about behavior changes as they pertain to food, sleep, and withdrawal, and addresses issues relating to the use of narcotics, addiction, and overdosing. The film is racking up more awards than I can list, and when you listen to Barbara speak, you’ll know why. Hers is the voice of wisdom, grace, experience, and kindness.
Please join me for part one of my two part interview with internationally respected speaker, educator, author, thought leader, and now, award winning film producer, Barbara Karnes.
What you will learn:
- Barbara’s new book
- How reducing fear helps patients better manage their own condition
- The process of dying from disease over time
- How the physician’s stumbling block can become yours
- The social and medical impact of losing the dying at home tradition
- The ethics of choosing death
- When to let Grandma go
- Why the medical profession is crippled when it comes to allowing a more natural death
- How the gerbil wheel is killing you
- The signs that someone is dying
- What really causes pain
- Why you will naturally fight death and how to prepare
- Things you can do to help a loved one when they are dying
You can learn more about Barbara’s work at her website bkbooks.com
Share the Love!
Your quick review on iTunes would help me a lot. It’s as easy as ABC! Just…
A) Look for the gold “Review Brant’s Show on iTunes” button below. Click there.
B) Then (in iTunes) click on “View in iTunes.” It’s the blue button under the iTunes logo. That will open iTunes. Finally;
C) Look for the “Ratings and Reviews” tab. Click there and work your magic!
Presto and grazie!